What is the difference between RECOVERY SHAKE, RECOVERY DRINK and PRO RECOVERY?
SPONSER® offers a range of recovery drinks that are suitable for quick regeneration after hard endurance exertion. A quick overview is provided by this table comparison of our regeneration drinks.
Basics on regeneration in endurance sports
From a nutritional point of view, endurance athletes primarily need carbohydrates and protein following exercise. However, it is virtually impossible to determine the exact amount and ratio of carbohydrates and protein required for each type of exercise. There are too many individual and situational factors involved. For example, the utilisation rate of food intake alone is different for each individual.
However, there are a few rules of thumb that should be adhered to in order to promote recovery:
• 50-60 g carbohydrates per hour after an energetically demanding load, every hour until the next main meal.
• Each main meal should contain 20-30 g protein.
• Take a late meal (possibly also without carbohydrates) with slow protein (for example CASEIN or MULTI PROTEIN) to bridge the night phase.
• Goal: Take one serving of protein every 3-4 hours. A dose of approx. 20-30 g is the necessary trigger amount to optimally support protein synthesis, i.e. recovery.
RECOVERY SHAKE, RECOVERY DRINK and PRO RECOVERY by SPONSER® are equally suitable for recovery or muscle building. The shakes differ primarily in their carbohydrate content and functionality. Briefly described, the shakes differ as follows:
• PRO RECOVERY and RECOVERY SHAKE both deliver approx. 20-25 g protein per prepared portion. PRO RECOVERY, in contrast to RECOVERY SHAKE, contains significantly less carbohydrates, so that the carbohydrates can be added according to hunger or need (bar, banana, pasta, etc.). Depending on the training goal (e.g. low glycogen training) or also for physiological reasons (body weight) it is advisable to reduce the carbohydrates in a certain training phase.
PRO RECOVERY is, as the name suggests, even more geared towards professional and ambitious athletes. It consists of a broad protein mixture with quickly and slowly available protein sources including colostrum, and offers higher convenience through lower drinking volume and its preparation with water. PRO RECOVERY with its functional ingredients delivers the highest possible quality in the regeneration area and is also suitable for taking shortly before strength training or hard units.
• RECOVERY SHAKE is more satiating and tastier for many grace to its preparation with milk, but it also provides significantly more carbohydrates, which is ideal for classic muscle build-up but also for energetic regeneration.
• RECOVERY DRINK is intended for the first replenishment of the energy stores at the competition or training site, or in the changing room. It provides a light, well-tolerated first portion shortly after the end of a performance in a comfortable portion sachet, and is designed for preparation with water. In combination with AMINO 12500, RECOVERY DRINK is an ideal recovery product in competitive situations.
Author: Remo Jutzeler
Head R&D SPONSER SPORT FOOD
Ing. Applied Food Sciences FH
MAS Nutrition & Health ETHZ